Friday, February 19, 2010

I Had a Rooster


A traditional kids' song
Rise Up Singing chapter: Play, p.170
C - / - G7 / C F / CF GC
for the "and my little _(animal)_ went _(noise)_" bits just play C F /

I had a rooster and the rooster pleased me
I fed my rooster on a green berry tree
The little rooster went cock-a-doodle-doo
Dee doodle dee doodle dee doodle dee doo

OR
I had a little rooster by the barnyard gate
And that little rooster was my playmate
And that little rooster went cock-a-doodle-doo
Dee doodle dee doodle dee doodle dee doo

I had a little cat by the barnyard gate
I had a little cow by the barnyard gate
I had a little horsie by the barnyard gate
I had a little pig by the barnyard gate
I had a great white shark by the barnyard gate
Et cetera.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I couldn't remember the progression at the end, and I want to sing this at story time tomorrow. Great blog!

    -a grateful librarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I don't think Blogger is going to forward this to you, and you've posted this anonymously, so you may never read it, but I'm happy to know that it helped and thanks a lot for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'm really impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thank you - also planning to play this song with my third-grade class this year, grooving along with Pete Seeger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...I am a piano teacher in NW CT. I see that you'd played "Had a Little Rooster", but my computer speaker isn't working! Please help-- is this song put to another tune I might know? I do see your chord progression--thanks! Need to rehearse it with local pre-K class tomorrow at 10 a.m. If you happen to read my message, please let me know if this is a familiar melody. Seems to have the same syllables as "Old MacDonald Had a Farm". Thanks for any help, Kathy "pianoandante.goshen@hotmail.com"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I loved this! You are a great and fun teacher, and what better for anyone out there? :) Thanks, I need this for Monday circle on Zoom ~what?!! crazy days are here again!

    ReplyDelete