Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Going Down the Road (Feeling Bad)


By Woody Guthrie and Lee Hays
Rise Up Singing chapter: Rich and Poor, p.181
D - / G D / G D / A D

I'm blowing down this dusty old road
Yes, I'm blowing down this dusty old road
I'm blowing down this dusty old road, Lord God
And I ain't gonna be treated this-a way

I'm going where the water tastes like wine
Yes, I'm going where the water tastes like wine
I'm going where the water tastes like wine, Lord God
And I ain't gonna be treated this way

I'm going where those dust storms never blow...
They say I'm a dust bowl refugee...
I'm looking for a job at honest pay...
My children need three square meals a day...
Your two-dollar shoe hurts my feet...
It takes a ten-dollar shoe to fit my feet...
I'm going down this dusty old road...

(Also popular in other versions):
I'm going down this road feeling bad...
I'm going where the chilly winds don't blow...

...and so on. Make up your own. Seriously, you'll get a lot more mileage out of this song if you sing it in a group and go around the room/circle/campfire with people making up their own verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment