Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blow the Candles Out


Traditional
Rise Up Singing chapter: Ballads and Old Songs, p.8
Sheet music here and here.

Chords:
DmC Dm DmC DmAm / DmC Dm DmC Dm
DmC F Dm Am / DmC Dm DmC Dm

When I was 'prenticed in London, I went to see my dear
The fires were all burning, the moon shone bright and clear
I rapped upon his window to ease him of his pain
He rose to let me in, then he barred the door again

I like your well behavior and thus I often say
I cannot rest contented whilst you are far away
The roads they are so muddy, we cannot gang about
So roll me in your arms, love, and blow the candles out

Your father and your mother in yonder room do lie
A-hugging one another, so why not you and I?
A-hugging one another, without a fear or doubt
So roll me in your arms, love, and blow the candles out

And if we prove successful, love, I'll name it after thee
I'll keep it neat and kiss it sweet and daff it on my knee
When my three years are ended, my time it will be out
Then I will double my indebtedness by blowing the candles out

Most of the versions I've found online are from the man's point of view, while Rise Up Singing has the woman as the agent, and the woman is the one apprenticed in London and travelling alone to see her boyfriend. What would make the most sense to me is a middle ground where it's sung from the woman's point of view but it's the man actually riding to see his love and being apprenticed. I haven't found a version like that, though.

Extra verse:
I pray thee speak more softly of what we have to do
Lest that our noise of talking should make our pleasure rue
The streets they are so nigh, love, the people walk about
They may peep in and spy, love, so blow the candles out

Alternate last verse:
And if we prove successful, love, please name it after me (the guy)
Treat it neat and kiss it sweet and daft it on your knee
When my three years are over, my time it will be out
And I will pay my debt to you by blowing the candles out.

No comments:

Post a Comment