Sunday, July 19, 2009

Loch Lomond


A traditional Scottish song from the late 1800's
Rise Up Singing chapter: Outdoors, p.153
Chords (chorus and verses same): C Am F G / C Am F G / F Am Dm FG / C Am DmG C

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love were ever wont to be
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

Chorus:
Oh, you take the high road and I'l take the low road
And I'll be in Scotland before you
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

I mind where we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep side of Ben Lomond ("ben" = mountain)
Where, in deep purple hues, the Highland hills we viewed
And the moon coming out in the gloaming

The wee birdies sing and the wildflowers spring
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart will ken no second spring again ("ken" = know)
And the world does not know how we're greeting

No comments:

Post a Comment