Friday, May 21, 2010

Heart Like a Wheel


By Anna McGarrigle
Rise Up Singing chapter: Hard Times and Blues, p.101
There's an F#m in here, so if you're at the stage of guitar playing where bar chords are frustrating, you could play it in G*. In G you'd still have a Bm, though, so it depends which you find easier.

D - A - / F#m - Bm - / Em - A Em / B Em A D
Some say the heart is just like a wheel
When you bend it, you can't mend it
And my love for you is like a sinking ship
And my heart** is on that ship out in mid-ocean

They say that death is a tragedy
It comes once, then it's over
But my only wish is for that deep, dark abyss
'Cause what's the sense of living with no true lover?***

Bridge:
D - Em A / Bm Em A D
It's only love, and it's only love
That can wreck a human being and turn it inside out

When harm is done no love can be won
I know this happens frequently
What I can't understand — oh please God, hold my hand
Is why this should have happened to me?


* Verses: G - D - / Bm - Em - / Am - D Am / Em Am D G
Bridge: G - Am D / Em Am D G
**R.U.S. makes the interesting decision to capitalize "heart" here.
***That is one depressing thought. I don't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment