Friday, May 7, 2010

Angel Band


(Song begins at 1:58)
Rise Up Singing chapter: Gospel, p.92
Written by J. Hascall and William Bradbury, sometime in the mid 19th century
G C GD G / / D G D G / C G GD G / /
Although a lot of people, including Porter Wagoner, play the first line like this:
G CG GD G

Also, a lot of folks like to sing "My latest sun is sinking fast" but Rise Up Singing goes with a good old "The":

The latest sun is sinking fast, my race is nearly run

My strongest trials now are past, my triumph is begun
Oh, come, angel band, come and around me stand
Oh bear me away on your snowy wings to my immortal home (2x)

I know I'm near the holy ranks of friends and kindred dear
I've brushed the dew on Jordan's banks, the crossing must be near...

I've almost gained my heavenly home, my spirit loudly sings
The holy ones, behold they come, I hear the noise of wings...

Oh, bear my longing heart to him who bled and died for me
Whose blood now cleanses from all sin and gives me victory...

No comments:

Post a Comment