Monday, May 10, 2010

The Country Life


(Song begins at 0:28)
I know
this song from Dan Zanes
Rise Up Singing chapter: Farm and Prairie, p.49
A traditional English (British Isles) song

A - D E / / / / / A E A -
Oh, I like to rise when the sun she rises
Early in the morning
I like to hear them small birds singing
Merrily upon their laylum (or lay-land/leyland)*
And hurrah for the life of a country boy
And to ramble in the new-mown hay
A - D E / / / A E A -
In the Spring we sow, in the harvest mow
And that’s how the seasons around they go
But of all the times if choose I may
It’s to ramble in the new mown hay
A - D E / / / A E A -
In the Winter when the sky is gray
We edge and ditch our lives away
In the Summer when the sun shines gay
We go ramble in the new mown hay

*
Here's a link to a Mudcat Café thread on the obscure word 'laylum' and the less obscure 'leyland': http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=47543#709988
Mudcat Café can be a great resource for information on folk songs, although if you ask me, there are a few too many prescriptive know-it-alls lurking around there. You'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment