Monday, March 8, 2010

The Wild Rover


Traditional Australian / Irish
Rise Up Singing chapter: Traveling / Travelling, p.237
Verses: E B7 E A / E B7 - E ://
Chorus: B7 - - - / E - A - / E - A - / E B7 E -

I've been a wild rover for many a year
I've spent all my money on whiskey and beer,
Now I'll save up my wages, keep money in store
And I never will play the wild rover no more

And it's no, nay, never / No, nay, never no more
for I've played the wild rover / But I'll never, no more

I went to an alehouse I used to frequent
And I told the landlady my money was spent
I asked her to trust me, her answer was "Nay
Such a custom as yours we can get any day"

Then out of my pockets I took sovereigns bright
And the landlady's eyes opened wide with delight
She said "I have whiskeys and wines of the best
And the words that I said sure were only in jest"

"You can keep all your whiskey and your beer likewise, too
For not one more penny am I spending with you
For the money I've got, I am taking good care
And I never will play the wild rover no more"

Now if I had all the money that I left in your care
It would plough all my lands and my family rear
It would thatch all my houses, it would build me a barn
It would buy me a coat for to keep my back warm

I'll go home to my parents and confess what I've done
And I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son
And if they forgive me, as they've oft done before
Oh, it's ne'er will I play the wild rover no more

No comments:

Post a Comment