Wednesday, August 5, 2009

By the Light of the Silvery Moon


Words by Edward Madden and melody by Gus Edwards
Rise Up Singing chapter: Golden Oldies, p.77

Spoon (v.) The meaning "court, flirt sentimentally" is first recorded 1831

G - / D7 - / - - / - G / - - - Am / E7A7 A7Bm A7D7 G
Place: Park. Scene: Dark

Silv'ry Moon is shining o'er the trees
Cast: two - me, you
Sound of kisses floating on the breeze
Act One begun: dialogue - "Where would you like to spoon?"
My cue: with you, underneath the silv'ry moon

Chorus:
G - A7 - / D - G D / G - CE Am / GC G / GE AD G -
By the light of the silvery moon
I want to spoon, to my honey I'll croon love's tune
Honey moon, keep a-shining in June
Your silv'ry beams will bring love's dreams, we'll be cuddling
Soon, by the silvery moon

Act two: scene - new
Roses blooming all around the place
Cast: three - you, me
Preacher with a solemn-looking face
Choir sings, bell rings
Preacher: "You are wed forever more"
Act two, all through, ev'ry night the same encore

Chorus variation with patter:
By the light (not the dark but the light)
Of the silvery moon (not the sun but the moon)
I want to spoon (not croon, but spoon)
To my honey I'll croon love's tune
Honey moon (honeymoon, honeymoon)
Keep a-shining in June
Your silv'ry beams will bring love's dreams, we'll be cuddling
Soon, by the silvery moon

No comments:

Post a Comment