Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bouns: Groundhog


A song I learned off an album (a "twofer") called The Essential Doc Watson, which I picked up when I was 19 or 20, I guess. Sometime around then.
G D G - / - C G - / - D G - / - D G -

Shoulder up your gun and whistle up your dog

Shoulder up your gun and whistle up your dog
We're off to the woods for to catch a groundhog.
Oh, groundhog

Run here Sally with a ten foot pole (2x)
Gonna twist that whistle-pig out of his hole
Oh, groundhog

Here comes Sal with a snicker and a grin (2x)
Groundhog gravy all over her chin

I dug down but I didn't dig deep (2x)
There lay a whistle-pig fast asleep

Now there's meat in the cupboard and butter in the churn (2x)
If that ain't groundhog I'll be derned

Well you eat up the meat and you save the hide (2x)
The best darn shoestring ever was tied

Look at them fellers, they're about to fall (2x)
Gonna eat 'til their britches won't button at all

There's a little piece of cornbread a-layin' on the shelf (2x)
If you want any more, you can sing it yerself

And a verse I skipped:
Look at them fellers, they're a-goin' wild
They're gonna eat that hog before he's cooked or biled

No comments:

Post a Comment