Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset


From Fiddler on the Roof
I sang this in the chorus in a high school musical production in the spring of 1993. My older brother and I got to do a duet in "Consider Yourself" from "Oliver!". Same musical production: our music teacher liked to mix things up. "Musical reviews" I guess is what those are called. I call it doing just doing half a musical and half of another.

Rise Up Singing chapter: Time and Changes, p.227
Words by Sheldon Harnick; music, Jerry Bock
Verses:
Em B7 Em - / - B7 Em E7 / Am E Am - / F# - B7 -
Em B7 Em - / - B7 Em E7 / Am E Am F# / B7 - - -
Chorus:
Em B7 Em B7 / Em - - E7 / Am D G E / Am B7 Em -
Em B7 Em B7 / Em - - E7 / Am B7 Em A7 / Am B7 Em -

In the video I transpose it so it goes the same way but higher up to sing to:
Verses:
Am E7 Am - / - E7 Am A7 / Dm A Dm - / B - E7 - (I get lazy and play a B7. Sounds ok.)
Am E7 Am - / - E7 Am A7 / Dm A Dm B / E7 - - - (again, B7 instead of B)
Chorus:
Am E7 Am E7 / Am - - A7 / Dm G C A / Dm E7 Am -
Am E7 Am E7 / Am - - A7 / Dm E7 Am D7 / Dm E7 Am -

On the first chorus I play these chords, but feel something's not right on the penultimate line "One season following another: Dm E7 Am D7". So on the second chorus I just replace it with the chords to "Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers: Dm G C A". That sounds ok too, but I've since gone back and looked at the chords, and I think the Rise Up Singing pattern holds water, as long as you sing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment