Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Satisfied Mind (in 4/4 time)


By Red Hays and Jack Rhodes
Rise Up Singing chapter: Rich and Poor, p.185

A G D - / A G D - / GA A D - / A G D -
or, depending on what verse you're singing:
GA A D - / A G D - / A G D - / A G D -

I like to say, "How many times have you heard someone say" but some people don't like the present perfect, and these are the lyrics that Rise Up Singing has:

How many times DID you hear someone say
"If I had his money, I could do things my way"
But little they know that it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind

Once I was lucky in fortune and fame
Had all that I needed to make a start in life's game
Then suddenly it happened, I lost every dime
But I'm richer by far with a satisfied mind

For money can't buy back your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonely, or a heart that's grown cold
The wealthiest person is a pauper at times
Compared to the man with a satisfied mind

When my life is ended and my time has run out
My friends and relations, I'll leave them no doubt
But one thing's for certain, when it comes to my time
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind

2 comments:

  1. "How many times have you heard someone say" these are actually the lyrics that I have in my Rise up singing book, and I agree they are better than 'Did' maybe we have different versions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we must have different versions. Weird. Mine seems like it's the 1992 version. Is yours older? Or newer?

    ReplyDelete