Friday, January 8, 2010

Florida, my Florida (Bonus)


To the tune Lauriger Horatius, which is the tune of "O Tannenbaum" ("O Christmas Tree")

D - - A7 B7 - / - Em - A7 - D / - - - A7 B7 - / - Em - A7 - D
D - G - Em - / - A7 - - D - / - - - A7 B7 - / - Em - A7 - D

From: http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/music/statesong.html
"Written in 1894 by Rev Dr. C. V. Waugh, a professor of languages at the Florida Agricultural College at Lake City, the song was said by the Legislature to have "both metric and patriotic merit of the kind calculated to inspire love for home and native State." Sung to the tune of "Maryland, My Maryland" a strongly Secessionist song written by James Ryder Randall in 1861 which turned into one of the biggest hits of the Confederacy and became a State song in the 1930's."

Lyrics:

Land of my birth, bright sunkissed land
Florida, my Florida
Laded by the Gulf and Ocean grand
Florida, my Florida

Of all the States in East or West
Unto my heart thou art the best
Here may I live, here may I rest
Florida, my Florida

The golden fruit the world outshines
Florida, my Florida
Thy gardens and thy phosphate mines
Florida, my Florida

In country, town, or hills and dells
Florida, my Florida
The rhythmic chimes of the school bells
Florida, my Florida

Will call thy children day by day
To learn to walk the patriot's way
Firmly to stand for thee for aye
Florida, my Florida

Yield their rich store of good supply,
To still the voice of hunger's cry-
For thee we'll live, for thee we'll die
Florida, my Florida

These lyrics and some background can also be found here: http://www.50states.com/songs/florida2.htm

Also: Lauriger Horatius = "Laurel-crowned Horatio"? Latin scholars please advise.

Actually, scratch that. I found out. I was right, it turns out. Here are links to all you need to know, including Latin words and sheet music:
https://jscholarship.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/4351
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/images/modeng/public/PaxHand/PaxHaf05.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment