Friday, April 3, 2009

I Ride an Old Paint


Rise Up Singing chapter: Farm and Prairie, p.53
G - - - / D - G - / / // / /

I ride an old paint, I lead an old Dan
I'm going to Montan' for to throw the hoolihan
They feed in the coolies, they water in the draw
Their tails are all matted, their backs are all raw
Ride around little dogies, ride around them slow
For the fiery and snuffy are rarin' to go

I've worked in the town and I've worked on the farm
And all I got is this muscle in my arm
Got a blister on my foot and a callus in my hand
But I'll be a cowpuncher as long as I can
Ride around little dogies...

Old Bill Jones had two daughters and a song
One went to Denver and the other went wrong
His wife she died in a poolroom fight
And still he keeps singing from morning to night
...

Oh, when I die, take my saddle from the wall
Put it on my pony, lead him out of his stall
Tie my bones to his back, turn our faces to the west
And we'll ride the prairies that we love the best

No comments:

Post a Comment