Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Captain Kidd


Rise Up Singing chapter: Seas and Sailors, p.200
E - - B7 / E EA B7 - / E - A B7 / A - B7 E

I transpose to D:
D - - A7 / D DG A7 - / D - G A7 / G - A7 D

My name was Robert Kidd, as I sailed, as I sailed
My name was Robert Kidd, as I sailed
My name was Robert Kidd and God's laws I did forbid
And much wickedness I did, as I sailed, as I sailed

My father taught me well, as I sailed, as I sailed
My father taught me well, as I sailed
My father taught me well, to shun the gates of Hell
But yet I did rebel, as I sailed, as I sailed

He put a Bible in my hand, as I sailed, as I sailed
He put a Bible in my hand, as I sailed
He put a Bible in my hand and I sunk it in the sand
Before I left the strand, as I sailed, as I sailed

Then I murdered William Moore, as I sailed, as I sailed
I murdered William Moore, as I sailed
I murdered William Moore and I left him in his gore
Not many leagues from shore, as I sailed, as I sailed

And being crueler still, as I sailed, as I sailed
And being crueler still, as I sailed
And being crueler still, my gunner I did kill
And his precious blood did spill, as I sailed, as I sailed

And being nigh to death, as I sailed, as I sailed
And being nigh to death, as I sailed
And being nigh to death, I vowed with every breath
To walk in wisdom's way, as I sailed, as I sailed

My repentance lasted not, as I sailed, as I sailed
My repentance lasted not, as I sailed
My repentance lasted not, and my vows I soon forgot
Damnation was my lot, as I sailed, as I sailed

To Execution Dock, I must go, I must go
To Execution Dock, I must go
To Execution Dock, while thousands 'round me flock
To see me on the block, I must go, I must go

No comments:

Post a Comment