Thursday, February 12, 2009

Streets of Laredo (The Cowboy's Lament)


Collected, adapted and arranged by John A. Lomax and Alan Lomax
Rise Up Singing chapter: Farm and Prairie, p.58
R.U.S. chords: D A D A / / / Bm Em A D
My way: D G D A7 / / / /

As I walked out on the streets of Laredo
As I walked out on Laredo one day
I spied a poor cowboy all wrapped in white linen
All wrapped in white linen as cold as the clay

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy"
These words he did say as I boldly stepped by
"Come sit down beside me and hear my sad story
For I'm shot in the breast and I know I must die

My friends and relations, they live in the Nation
They know not where their boy has gone
He first came to Texas and hired to a ranchman
Oh, I'm a young cowboy and I know I've done wrong

etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment