Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hold On (Keep your eyes on the prize)


By Alice Wine
Rise Up Singing chapter: Freedom, p.60
Dm - / DmC Dm / - DmC DmC Dm / C - Dm - / 3rd

This one was requested by Sircoughsalot on YouTube. I needed to do it anyway eventually, of course, since I'm hoping to get through all 1200 songs in the Rise Up Singing Songbook before I'm done. The original to this adaptation was the spiritual "Keep Your Hand On The Plough".

My chords: Dm - / DmC Dm / - C DmC Dm / F - A - / 3rd

Paul and Silas were bound in jail
Had no money for to go their bail
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on
Hold on, hold on!
Keep your eyes on the prize, hold on

Paul and Silas began to shout
The jail doors opened and they walked out...

The only thing that we did wrong
Was staying in the wilderness too long...

Ain't but one chain we can stand
That's the chain of a hand in a hand...

Freedom's name is mighty sweet
Black and white are gonna meet...

We've fought jail and violence too
And God's love has seen us through...

Got my hand on the freedom plough
Wouldn't take nothing for my journey now...

No comments:

Post a Comment