Sunday, December 14, 2008

The World Turned Upside Down (The Diggers' Song)


By Leon Rosselson
Rise Up Singing chapter: Rich & Poor, p.187
C - Dm - / F - C - / - - Dm - F CG C -

I play the song in a simple 3-chord pattern (1, 4, 5), no minor chords at all. I've played it the Rise Up Singing way too, though, and I can vouch for it. It sounds good.

Here's my way:
1 - 5 - / 4 - 1 - / - - 5 - / 4 5 1 -
or, in letter terms:
E - B - / A - E - / - - B - / A B E -

It's based on historical facts and it's a cool story, but the lyrics themselves, augmented by a quick internet search, can explain it all better than I could for you.

In 1649, to Saint George's Hill
A ragged band they called the diggers came to show the people's will
They defied the landlords, they defied the laws
They were the dispossessed reclaiming what was theirs

The full lyrics are a few different places on the internet, so, as with most songs I do on this V-log, I don't think it's necessary for me to type them all out for you. Forgive me my lassitude on that front.

No comments:

Post a Comment