Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Water is Wide (Waly Waly)

The song starts really far in, at 3:54 (so skip to it for the music).
I spend a lot of time at the beginning talking about Nobody Waved Goodbye, the Canadian movie from which I learned this song. Later on, I heard James Taylor do a version of it on his New Moonshine album, I think, but I still like the Nobody Waved Goodbye version better.

Rise Up Singing chapter: Ballads and Old Songs, p.15
My chords:
D G D - / Bm Em A - / D G Bm G / D A D -
R.U.S. chords:
D G A - / Bm Em A - / D G Bm G / A - D -

The water is wide, I can't cross o'er
Neither have I wings to fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row, my true love and I

There is a ship and she sails the sea
She's loaded deep as deep can be
But not so deep as the love I'm in
I know not how I sink or swim

I leaned my back against some young oak
Thinking it was a sturdy young tree
But first it bended and then it broke
Thus did my love prove false to me

I thrust my hand into some soft bush
Thinking the fairest flower to find
But pricked my finger unto the bone
And left the fairest flower behind

O, love is handsome and love is fine
As the fairest flower when first it's new
But love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like the morning dew

O waly waly up the bank
And waly waly down the braes
And waly waly by yon burn side
Where me and my love were wont to gae

When sea and sand turneth far inland
And mussels grow on every tree
When cockle shells turn silver bells
Then would I love my love for thee

No comments:

Post a Comment