Friday, December 17, 2010

The Hug (Song)


New song for today from the Rise Up Singing songbook, and I'm even right now in the process of going and filling in the missing chords and lyrics from the last few I've posted. Enjoy. Maybe sing along.
Uh oh, I see that the audio gets unsynchronized a little into the video. Um, you're just going to have to deal, because I just deleted the original. Oops. But if for some reason you can't figure out the song without synced audio, let me know, and I'll redo it, no worries.

By Fred Small
Verses: C - / FG C / - - / D G / C Em / Dm C / - F / G C
Chorus: C - / F - / G - / - C ://

Dan Murrow is a mighty friendly man
He's big and round like a bear
He hugs his friends and his friends hug him
Anytime, anywhere
His patients would come for therapy
To drive their blues away
And sooner or later they'd feel a lot better
'Cause this is what he'd say

CHORUS:
I want a hug (I want a hug) when we say hello
I want a hug (I want a hug) when it's time to go
I want a hug (...) 'cause I want you to know
I'm awfully fond of you
I want a hug (...) what a wonderful feeling
I want a hug (...) to feel you squeezing
I want a hug (...) it certainly feels
Like the natural thing to do

ALT CHORUS:
I want a hug (I want a hug) when we say hello
I want a hug (I want a hug) when it's time to go
I want a hug (...) 'cause everyone knows
That hugging is good for you
I want a hug (...) what a wonderful feeling
I want a hug (...) it's part of the healing
I want a hug (...) 'cause hugging feels
Like the natural thing to do

But when the head of the hospital heard about it
He got all annoyed
'Cause hugging is sexual sublimation
According to Doctor Freud
You can beat 'em down, you can hide 'em away
You can keep 'em quiet with drugs
You can strap 'em and zap 'em with electroshock
But you'd better not give 'em a hug

So the boss says, "Dan, clean out your desk
Your conduct is lax and lewd
Any deviation from the standard medical
Practice can get us sued"
But Dan don't feel too bad for himself
He's really kind of proud
But he's sorry for the people who are locked away
Where hugging ain't allowed

No comments:

Post a Comment